Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Wetlands Field Trip!

We went to Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge yesterday and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!
Look at those amazing tule growing along the slough!
"I cannot.resist.that.marsh.puddle! "
 We were allowed to go into the salt marsh to look for evidence of animals.
 We got to try some pickleweed (salty!) Kira gives it a thumbs up.
We learned about many native plants like the California Poppy.
Binoculars are always fun!
Using microscopes to see what is really in the slough water!

We also learned about different bird beak and feet features and then played a matching game.
It is hard to believe this is so close to us!

Separator

7 comments:

  1. During one of my practicums in Washington, our first grade class went to some wetlands. It was so fun and the kids LOVED it! :) I wish we had a place like that near us now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing trip!!! Memories and learning to last a lifetime.....remember YOU did that for them :o) It'll make everyday worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! Follow mine :)
    http://missmillersfirsties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I'm so curious where you teach, Jenn...this refuge is very close to where I live/teach! No wonder I can relate to your very large class size!! It really is sooo remarkable that you're able to do so very much with your class, Jenn. I'm impressed! Have a fabulous spring break...ours isn't for another 2 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, 4knighs4. I teach at Hacienda Environmental Science Magnet School in San Jose. Where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, that helps explain your wonderful hands on science lessons. I teach in Newark...so close to Don Edwards. Bet your class loved their visit! Thanks, again, for all that you share. Enjoy your week off!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an authentic learning experience for the kids! I'm just jealous I can't take my 3rd grades somewhere like that!

    ReplyDelete